Variety is integral to maintaining a healthy diet, and that includes eating as many different foods as possible that are good for you. One of the healthiest yet often overlooked fruits out there is dates palm.
The Date Palm
Date palm (Phoenix dactylifera), is mostly found in the Canary Islands, northern Africa, the Middle East, Pakistan, India, and the U.S. state of California.
More than 1,000 dates may appear on a single bunch and can weigh up to 8 kg or more. The fruit of the date palm is more than 50% sugar and contains about 2% each of protein, fat, and mineral matter.
Dates contain many healthy nutrients which can help in boosting metabolism. It can help heal many health problems like heart attacks, hypertension, high cholesterol level, and strokes.
Health Benefits of Dates includes:
- packed with an impressive list of phytonutrients, vitamins, and minerals that are essential for normal growth, development, and general well-being.
- made of soft, easily digestible flesh and simple sugars like fructose and dextrose.
- they can be traditionally served in breaking of fast during Ramadan times.
- Rich in dietary fiber, which prevents cholesterol absorption in the gut, and also, the fiber diet works as a bulk laxative, helping to protect the colon mucous membrane from cancer-causing chemicals binding to it.
- contain health benefiting flavonoid polyphenolic antioxidants known as tannins, which prevent easy bleeding, and possess properties that are anti-infective, and anti-inflammatory.
- Dates palm are cheap sources of vitamin-A, which is known is required in maintaining healthy mucosa and skin, and known to have antioxidant properties that are essential for good vision.
- They are made up of antioxidant flavonoids such as ß-carotene, lutein, and zeaxanthin, that has been found to have the ability to protect cells and other structures in the body from harmful effects of oxygen-free radicals.
- consumption of dates help offers some protection from colon, prostate, breast, endometrial, lung, and pancreatic cancers.
- Zeaxanthin is an important dietary carotenoid that selectively absorbed into the retinal macula lutea, where it provides antioxidant and protective light-filtering functions, helping to offer protection against age-related macular degeneration.
- Excellent source of iron, which is a component of hemoglobin inside the red blood cells, that help determines the oxygen-carrying capacity of the blood.
- Dates are excellent sources of potassium. Potassium is an important component of cell and body fluids that help regulate heart rate and blood pressure.
- Date fruits are also very rich in minerals like manganese, copper, magnesium, and calcium. Calcium is an important mineral that is an essential constituent of bone and teeth and is required by the body for muscle contraction, blood clotting, and nerve impulse transmission.
- Date fruits are also very rich in minerals like manganese, copper, magnesium, and the human body uses manganese as a co-factor for the antioxidant enzyme, superoxide dismutase, while copper is required for the production of red blood cells. Magnesium itself is essential for bone growth.
- The date can help to keep your weight in check and can help you burn the excess fat on your body. They have no cholesterol but are rich in sugar.
- Dates are rich in potassium, a mineral that regulates the intestinal flora and helps prevent diarrhea and other problems of the gut. Dates can also prevent constipation. Potassium is an important mineral that can boost the health of your nervous system and prevent strokes
- Dates are rich in iron, which is great for children, pregnant women and those that suffer from anemia.
- Besides treating anemia, iron plays a role in the production of red blood cells and hemoglobin, which makes it very important for your wellbeing.
Dates are very healthy for you, and consuming them constantly will protect your heart from damage and boost your digestion, which will effectively result in better health. This is why they should become a part of your daily diet plan
Health expert recommends eating a few dates on daily basis because of the great health benefits they offer. These fruits are great for improving your energy level and are a great alternative to processed white sugar.
Dates are recommended against heart problems, stroke, heart attack, high cholesterol, and high blood pressure, and they will also help to boost your metabolism and digestion.
This will help you in weight loss and improve your general wellbeing.